This blog is to celebrate the paper dolls I had as a child growing up in the late 1940s - early 1950s.....and others I would have also loved!


Friday, December 9, 2011

Sweetie-Pie Twins

For little girls growing up in the late 1940s and early 50s, one of the most popular items  to play with were paper dolls. I loved paper dolls as much as I loved my dolls and dollhouse, and I could almost always get my Mom to spend 10 to 15 cents for  a book of paper dolls when we went to the "five and dime". Of course, the decision of which one I wanted was never easy....would it be a movie star,  babies,  little girls and boys, or brides and grooms....there was always such a great selection. At first Mom would sit on the floor with me and cut them out, but once I had learn to wield scissors, I enjoyed cutting them out almost as much as playing with them.

We have Mary Young to thank for her excellent books that help us identify different paper dolls, their publishers and the year published.  Uncut doll books are valued higher than cut-out paper dolls, but I prefer the ones that are cut.....yes! I am still playing.  I didn't keep any of the paper dolls I had when young, but from different sources, mostly eBay, I have been able to acquire most of the ones I remember having.  I will be sharing these dolls with you and others that I would have loved to have. Hope you enjoy seeing them!

Sweetie Pie Twins was the first set of paper dolls I remember having.  They are large 12" dolls so they would have been easy for the little hands of a 3-4 year old to handle.

Sweetie-Pie Twins.....Jane and Jean....the dolls that look alike and dress alike!
This book [#166] was published in 1949 by Stephens Publishing Company, Sandusky, Ohio, and included 2 dolls and 4 pages of clothes.


The front cover (must be Jane!) was duplicated on the back cover....they were twins of course!


The first page of clothes....each little girl had seven dresses....all alike...because they were twins and mommies dressed twins identically.


Jane's second page of clothes....with a party dress, a suit and hat.....



...and here are Jean's first four dresses and accessories....just like Jane's!


And Jean's suit and party dress that match Jane's so everyone would know they were twins!


And here is Jean....Janes' identical twin!

No comments:

Post a Comment